Jobs That Matter: Find a Stable, Fulfilling Career in Public Service is the first book covering both the nonprofit and government sectors, with tips on landing great jobs that help people, protect the environment, improve international relations, ensure security, and much more. Real-life examples of people who landed great public service jobs are highlighted throughout. This book is published by JIST, America’s top career book publisher.
Join the Jobs That Matter mailing list for a free download of over 400 links to public service career resources!
- Features advice for getting jobs in local, state, and federal government that cannot be found in any other resource.
- Offers worksheets and assessments to help readers discover their ideal public service career.
- Provides sample resumes and cover letters that have proven to be successful in the public service job search
- Specialized, in-depth job search tips for specific public service job searches, including the United Nations, CIA, State Department; and special tips for career-changers, students, veterans, and Americorps and Peace Corps volunteers
- Proven interview and networking tips
- Salary negotiation tips specific to public service careers
- Interviews with 26 different people about their public service careers
- Tips on pluses and minuses of government, nonprofit, and corporate work
- Salaries, job outlook, and career information on over 60 different public service jobs, ranging from social workers to park rangers, elected officials to policy analysts, fundraisers to advocacy staff, and urban planners to clergy.
- Referrals to over 250 professional associations, job search sites, and books
- Details on 12 major career interest areas and 43 sub-areas, including:
- Human services (children/youth services, seniors, people with disabilities, poverty alleviation, services to specific populations),
- Health (public health, hospitals, mental health, health benefits, research),
- Unions and labor relations,
- Civil rights and advocacy
- Education (early childhood, k-12, special education, higher education, vocational education),
- Environment (parks and recreation, environmental education, land and resource conservation, wildlife management, pollution prevention, sustainable business),
- Infrastructure (energy, transportation, water quality, public works),
- Financial careers (community/economic development, small business development, personal finance, trade regulation, government finance, corporate social responsibility, philanthropy),
- International careers (international development and relief, international relations, trade, human rights),
- Security, law enforcement, and law (national security, defense, military, disaster management, law enforcement, corrections, judicial system),
- Arts and culture, and religion.
Rave Reviews Include:
“Reading this book is a smart step on the journey to both finding a fulfilling job and serving the nation.” –Max Stier, CEO and President, Partnership for Public Service
“Finally, something really useful for non-profit jobs. I wish I’d written this book, but know I couldn’t have done such a good job.”
–Martin Yate CPC, NY Times bestseller, and author of Knock em Dead The Ultimate Job Search Guide
“Jobs That Matter: Find a Stable, Fulfilling Career in Public Service is a must-have resource for those pursuing a career in public service.” –Antoinette A. Samuel, MPA CAE, Executive Director, American Society for Public Administration
“I officially pronounce this book AWESOME. All the tricks I wish I had when entering public service. Heather is the tour guide du jour in the world of public service. A must read!” –Steve Ressler, Founder of Govloop.com, the premier social network for government
“With a range of in-depth looks at career fields, profiles of current professionals, and useful resources, “Jobs That Matter” is full of tools and tips.” –Steve Joiner, Author, The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for Sector Switchers
“If you want to work for the public good, or advise people who do, BUY THIS BOOK”–Carol Anderson, Director, Career Development & Placement, Milano the New School for Management and Urban Policy
“As a college career specialist, I was very impressed with this book. I have recommended it and lent it to students and workers interested in having a career that makes a difference. Well organized, clearly written and lists many excellent resources.”–Wendy Heyman, PhD, Arts & Science Coordinator, Baruch College Starr Career Development Center
A total of 35 people wrote career profiles of themselves or were interviewed for this book. However, we were only able to include 26 interviews in the book. For those interviews that were not included in the book, click here.
Pingback: Celebrate Book Lovers' Day With These 15 Career Books - Idealist Careers